First of all, we need to explain what a responsive website is.
Basically, it can adapt to various screen sizes or resolutions, which means that every page on your website is correctly displayed on a laptop, desktop, tablet or smart phone.
If you have an online store, for instance, a responsive design is critical since 60% of online traffic comes from mobile devices, according to Business Insider.
In Portugal, smart phones are used by 59.4% of mobile phone owners, so it is advisable to make sure they will have a good experience while visiting your website, regardless of the kind of device they're using. Furthermore, having a responsive website may also influence search rules. Such is the case of the recent Google algorithm change, which penalizes websites that have not been optimized for mobile devices, resulting in a decline of their position in search results.
What does this mean?
From now on, your website can quickly move from being the first Google search result to being the last.
If you're not convinced yet, we present 5 reasons that will make you wonder if you should invest in a responsive website or not:
1. Better browsing experience for the user: if your website is scrambled on a smartphone or tablet, it is very likely that the user will simply close the window and give up. And do you know what they will do next? In most cases, they will search for your competition's website.
2. Google privileges: with the new rules we've discussed, optimized websites - i.e. responsive websites - are automatically ranked first within search results.
3. Reaching your target audience on any device: whether on a desktop computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone, your website will adapt to any of these formats.
4. One design, multiple screens: we all know the importance of a coherent company identity and image. With a responsive website, the design remains the same regardless of the screen on which it is being viewed.
5. Shorter waiting time: this is another major advantage of a responsive website. Since the site is adapted to the various platforms, users do not have to wait long for the page to load.
Having a responsive website can represent an investment. But nowadays it is undoubtedly a necessity. Even if the market comes up with new devices, your website will remain visible on any screen.